Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
What is physical medicine and rehabilitation?
Steward Orthopedic & Sports Medicine Center offers a full range of physical medicine and rehabilitation services to patients in Tempe and Phoenix, Arizona – including Downtown Phoenix.
Physical medicine and rehabilitation doctors (also known as “physiatrists”) use new technologies and well-established medical practices to treat conditions of the brain, nerves, spinal cord, muscles, ligaments, joints, and tendons. Physiatrists focus on maximizing their patients’ abilities and improving quality of life through treatment.
At Steward Orthopedic & Sports Medicine Center, physical medicine and rehab is patient-centric, meaning the physicians and medical staff work with patients to develop unique treatment plans on a case-by-case basis.
Who should see a PM&R physician?
Following an injury or the diagnosis of an illness, your primary care physician may refer you to a PM&R physician. Reasons to see a physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist include:
- Recovering from a stroke
- Recovering from surgery
- Suffering from chronic pain (arthritis, back pain, repetitive stress injury, etc.)
- Recovering from an accident or injury that has caused chronic pain and/or limited your physical abilities
- Unable to exercise because of obesity, age, or injury
- Physical changes (childbirth, menopause, osteoarthritis, etc.) have restricted your abilities
Whatever the reason for your visit, your PM&R physician at Steward Orthopedic & Sports Medicine Center will thoroughly evaluate your condition, review your patient outcome desires and expectations, and develop a treatment plan that works for you.
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Services
Test and treatments may include…
- Fluoroscopic guided spinal injections
- Fluoroscopic guided joint injections
- Electrodiagnostic studies
- Ultrasound guided joint, muscle and nerve injections
- Platelet-rich plasma injections
- Trigger point injections
- Prolotherapy injections
- Detailed physical therapy prescription
- Osteopathic manipulative therapies
- Radiofrequency ablation (spine, hip and knee)
- Nerve conduction studies
- Spinal cord stimulators
For more information about services, or to schedule an appointment with a physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist in Phoenix or Tempe, please contact us.